Book Shawn For Your Event
INFORMING - ENTERTAINING - INSPIRING!
Shawn is an accomplished and experienced speaker. He seamlessly combines his experience and insights from his years of chiropractic clinical practice, knowledge transfer leadership, lecturing and teaching to deliver passionate, high-energy presentations on a variety of interesting topics. Dr. Thistle enjoys speaking to small or large groups.
Shawn has prepared a number of dynamic presentations which are continually updated. These presentations vary in length from 60 minutes to a full-day (8 hours). Customized presentations can be created upon request. Topics include:
- 'Spinal Health & Visceral Conditions'
The complex relationship between spinal 'health' – encompassing structural integrity, function, mobility/movement (or lack thereof) etc. – and organ function or disease has always been both fascinating and controversial. This lecture examines the state of the literature on visceral conditions and how manual treatments directed at the spine – primarily manipulation/adjusting – can influence them.
- 'Osteoarthritis – Providing Evidence-Informed Treatment Options for an Aging Society'
In this lecture, we will discuss the current state of knowledge about OA, including: epidemiology, risk factors, societal impact, pathogenesis, pain mechanisms and clinical considerations.
- 'Regional Interdependence – Discussing Clinical Applications in an Evidence-Informed Manner'
Regional interdependence is the concept that seemingly unrelated impairments in a remote anatomical region may contribute to, or be associated with, a patient's primary complaint (think of the childhood favourite song – "...the hip bone's connected to the..."). This lecture will highlight the relevance of this concept and discuss the state of the supporting evidence.
- 'Musculoskeletal Medicine Myths'
This title should speak for itself! Bringing us full circle, back to the rational integration of research, knowledge, clinical observation and theory, this lecture features frank, evidence-based discussion of some commonly revered beliefs in manual medicine.
- 'Concussion: An Evidence-Informed Clinical Primer for Chiropractors'
This informative 90 minute session will be a clinician primer on contemporary concepts in concussion assessment and management for chiropractors. On-field and clinical assessment, as well as treatment and management of concussion is becoming more evidence-based as new literature emerges to address best practices and support clinical decision making. DCs will often consult and treat patients with recent/acute or prior concussion(s) in clinical practice, whether providing care to athletes at sporting events or dealing with a general patient population. Because athletes are often eager to return to play and potential serious injury may result if they return too early, it is important that concussion be managed following current practice guidelines to ensure best practices are followed.
- 'Demystifying Research'
How can chiropractors and physiotherapists relate to and consume research in a way that is meaningful, rational, and impactful for their patients? Common misconceptions, barriers to dissemination, and research considerations specific to manual medicine are discussed.
- 'Low Back Pain Clinical Concepts & Research Updates'
A discussion of the current status of LBP as a contemporary healthcare crisis - including its prevalence, prognosis, healthcare system and societal impact, current medical management & Clinical Practice Guidelines.
- 'The Hip - A Central Factor in Numerous Musculoskeletal Syndromes'
Covers recent research developments, differential diagnosis, practical assessment and treatment tools, and functional rehabilitation approaches.
- 'Are All Cases of Low Back Pain the Same?'
Rational Integration of Clinical Prediction Rule Concepts for Your LBP Patients.
- 'The Relationship Between the Thoracic Spine & Common Neck & Shoulder Conditions'
Recent research is discussed linking treatment directed toward the thoracic region as an alternative or complementary approach for addressing neck and shoulder complaints. A logical blend of research integration and practical application.
- 'Neck Pain: A Contemporary Clinical Approach'
The integration of current cervical spine research into clinical practice. We, as clinicians, need to amalgamate and integrate a HUGE amount of emerging evidence into our day to day practice patterns - no small task.
Fees are calculated based on the following:
- length of presentation
- whether the presentation has to be specifically developed or significantly modified for your event
- door-to-door travel expenses must be covered, including ground transport, flight, hotel and incidentals
- Dr. Thistle requires 3 months' notice if you want him to present one of the topics listed above.
- Please allow a minimum of 6 months if you require a specialized presentation for your event.
- Shawn can suggest possible dates in his schedule if you have not already chosen and set up a date.